We've teamed up with financial planners from Financial Symmetry to provide additional resources and information for each week of the Money Matters initiative.
Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
1. What are the best topics to discuss before you get married?
Blog post: Financial Goals: I Do’s and I Don’ts
2. What percentage of couples planning a wedding went over their budget in 2014? 45% (Source)
Blog post: Budgeting: Wedding Style
3. Is it better to Rent or Buy? Find out here.
4. What percent of people buying homes in 2014 were first time home buyers? 33%
5. What current homeowners wish they knew before purchasing their first home.
6. How do you know which and how much life insurance to buy? Choosing the Right Life Insurance
Blog post: 12 Steps to Financial Health in 2015
7. What percent of people prefer purchasing insurance directly via the Internet? 25%
8. What percentage of Millennial women have at least one child? 50% (source)
Blog post: Preparing for Children
1. The average cost of raising a child until they are 18 is $245,000 (source)
2. Housing is the top expense, accounting for $73,600 or about 30 percent of the total cost of raising a child. (source)
3. The average cost of a wedding is $31,213 (source).
4. There were 2.189 million weddings in 2014 (source).
5. According to the Mortgage Bankers Association, sales of new homes are expected to climb by more than 13% in 2015, while existing home sales are expected to increase by 5% (source).
6. The median sale price of U.S. single-family homes and condos in October 2014 had reached its highest level since September 2008. (source)
7. 80% of consumers midjudge the price of term life insurance. (source)
8. 57% of all people in the US were covered by some type of life insurance in 2014. (source)
9. More than one in four working renter households spends more than half its income on housing. (source)
10. With rising demand for rentals, landlords are increasing their rents and some cities are even posting double-digit percentage rental increases annually. (source)